Friday, December 5, 2008

Breakfast with "Insider B"

We often hear rumor sites talk about sources but never hear much about what kind of person makes a good source. I am going to take a different spin here and let you get to know the source better before a story is posted. And of course, we are not going to let you know this person too well or else, they may get caught.

This morning I had breakfast with a buddy of mine who claims to be an inside source. I explained via a prior phone call that the meeting was going to be about introducing this person who will now be known as "Insider B" to readers. Below is my interview with Insider B over coffee.

Me: So, how did you end up telling the world about Apple?

Insider B: Hey, I don't tell everybody everything.

Me: Sure okay, then how did you end up being a source?

Insider B:  I was at a club in SF for a party and met someone who works for one of the many rumor sites.  I told her who I worked for and she started asking questions about my job.

Me: So what is it that you do for a living?

Insider B:  I spend my time sleeping in the office and telling my boss that I am busy so that he leaves me alone. I am an engineer.

Me: What do you  "engineer"

Insider B: Can't say more then that for now.

Me:  So you met this girl at some club and... Sounds like a dumb story at this time.  Feed us some real info.

Insider B: Well, I gave her my number and email address and a couple weeks later I got invited to some party where I sat down with her friends and started hanging out. Every once a while they ask questions about what I am up to like any other friend would. We rarely talk about my work. If its about rumors, most of the time, they already know what is up and am just looking for confirmation.

Me: So why do you do it? Isn't Apple a super secret place?  Aren't you afraid of the guys with the black suits and shades coming after you?

Insider B: Not sure why I do it to be honest. If  I really think about it, yeah its risky.  I could lose my job but my friends at other companies will take care of me. Plus its fun getting invited to all sorts of parties that these websites host.

Me: Dude, your a trip. So what are you working on these days.

Insider B: Can't talk about it.  I am under NDA.

Me: That's messed up. After all I done for you! Fine, I'll invite you to some parties. Send you Shark's game tickets.

Insider B: Ha-ha.

Me: Fine, take your coffee and run.  I got others that are more grateful then you.


No comments: